Hot cross muffins..
Julia from a friends archives..
|Prep Time||1 1⁄2 hours|
It's that time of year to dust off your hot cross bun recipe...this has a bit of a twist..make them in muffin tin. Start practicing now and perfect it in time for Good Friday! Yum!
- 4 1⁄2 c flour
- 1⁄3 c trade aid sugar
- 2 T yeast
- 1 t salt
- 1⁄2 t nutmeg, grated
- 1 t lemon rind
- 2 c warm water
- 1⁄4 c butter
- 2 eggs
- 2 t trade aid cinnamon
- 1 c candied peel
- 1 c trade aid raisins
- 2 T milk
- 1 1⁄2 c icing sugar
- Combine the flour, sugar, yeast, lemon rind, salt cinnamon and nutmeg in a large bowl.
- Stir in the warm water and melted butter, then add the beaten eggs.
- Using a wooden spoon, stir the dough until smooth
- Stir in raisins and the candied peel.
- Cover dough with a clean dry towel and stand for 10 minutes.
- Grease muffin cup tray and spoon in the dough to two thirds full.
- Brush the tops with melted butter.
- Cover and let it rise in a warm place until it almost doubles in size (usually about 20 - 30 minutes.)
- Bake in an oven preheated to 190 degrees for about 20 minutes or until tops are golden.
- Cool on wire racks until still warm.
- Combine icing sugar with milk until smooth; place in a piping bag or spoon on top of buns to make crosses.
Submitted by Trade Aid on Wed, 03/18/2009 - 07:26.